Wednesday, June 04, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

That is all I have to say for myself. Things have been CRAZY (sorry if this has errors in it, I'm too lazy to proofread this beast).

So yes I graduated. On Mother's Day! What's up with that. I was kinda hurt because all of our pregnant friends got something for Mother's Day but Michael forgot about it altogether. Then after graduation that night he surprised me with some roses... :) I was so excited to be able to graduate at long last that it seemed so surreal. When they gave me my name card though I knew it was for real (fo sho). The whole experience was exhilarating.

The next day was really sobering for me, though, looking back at all my college experiences and how much fun I had, another chapter closed in my life. It had BEEN my life for five years, and transitioning into "adulthood" was a hard thing to swallow. It still seems daunting but I am moving on with life as best as I can.

Shortly after that my friend Jessica woke up in the middle of the night to find her baby had stopped breathing. She resuscitated him with CPR and then they took him to the hospital. They knew he had problems because he was born a few weeks early and hadn't developed the sucking reflex yet. He had problems feeding because he didn't know what to do with his tongue. At the time the doctors and nurses just passed it off as a fairly common condition that only require some therapy but he would overall be alright.

Well obviously things weren't alright that night. This time the doctor passed it off as just severe acid reflux, which sounds bad but is also treatable. He wanted baby Hayden to be released the next day. Well, a member of Justin's family had a baby with a swallowing disorder, so at the nurses' urging Jessica ordered a swallowing test for her son. They did the test and found out that not only does he have acid reflux but he has issues with his epiglottis. When he dries to drink some of it either goes into his lungs or he chokes. So now she has to bottle-feed him and add special thickener to whatever she gives him so he can swallow it better.

The curious thing about this whole episode... Jessica (and Justin too) is obviously very freaked out, scared, helpless feeling, etc. When the doctor, who just passed it off as acid reflux, got wind of the fact that Jessica ordered a swallow test, he came in and chewed her out. In front of everybody. Needless to say he didn't last long and she got a personal apology from the rest of the hospital. But, Hayden is doing ok now, they just need to put thickener in his milk and keep him upright.

TBC in the morning

Ok sorry I was starting to fall asleep there. Anywho, after that whole debacle I went to work for Mrs. Hill, whom I would not trade places with for all the money in the world (well, ok... maybe). Mrs. Hill is a librarian at a local elementary. About a month before school let out the district informed them the school was getting remodeled over the summer, and a moving company has been hired to help everyone pack up their stuff in a couple of weeks. And EVERYTHING had to be packed. While this was just very stressful for everyone else who only had a classroom or office to pack up, for poor Mrs. Hill packing up a whole library in two weeks was impossible at best. That's where I came in.

They mainly kept me doing less strenuous stuff like organizing and packing books (as opposed to moving furniture and other heavy equipment), but even still it gave me my workout each day. We ended up getting it all done though, which made Mrs. Hill very happy. Well, until she has to unpack it all in a few months. The worst part is, they're not even going to make over her library until next summer... which means she has to do this all again next year! Yay.

On the agenda for this week... applying for more jobs. Looking into daycare for next year. Sign up for birthing classes. Mike's company picnic on Saturday, then his birthday on Tuesday. Eep.

On the plus side, baby has been moving around quite a bit the past few days :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home